The Theosophical Society was founded by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, Henry Steel Olcott, William Quan Judge, and others in New York City on November 17, 1875. In 1882 the international headquarters of the Society was established at Adyar, near Madras. This remains the headquarters for the Society, which is now established in fifty countries of the world.
Today, our society is composed of students, belonging to any religion in the world or to none, who are united by their approval of the Society's Objects, by their wish to remove religious antagonisms and to draw together men of goodwill whatsoever their religious opinions, and by their desire to study religious truths and to share the results of their studies with others.
Our bond of union is not the profession of a common belief, but a common search and aspiration for Truth. We hold that Truth should be sought by study, by reflection, by purity of life, by devotion to high ideals, and we regard Truth as a prize to be striven for, not as dogma to be imposed by authority.